Friday, March 14, 2014

Creative Energy

Once upon a time, I used to love to write. I would write every day, usually just journal type entries that exercised my brain by writing about the days events and how I felt about those events. Somehow I got out of that habit, and found myself writing less and less. I became more circumspect about my writings, privately concerned about who might read and misinterpret my thoughts.

I turned to writing poetry and for several years I almost always was able to write a poem every week. Eventually that ended when I discovered a passion for painting and I focused my creative energy on that outlet. My painting has slowed down, because I have gone back to school to get a BS in IT Management and it takes up most of my spare time. I still paint, though not as often as I would like. iPaint

In the meantime, I find myself with pent up creative energy.

My sister recently began writing poetry and posting it at the SpeakEasy where people are challenged to write flash fiction (750 words or less) based on weekly prompts. This really got me excited, because I used to love to write creative fiction and somehow I had gotten out of that habit.

The first few weeks after being turned on to this site, I simply read the posts and let them incubate within my psyche. Then I started to think about how I would respond to the prompt, but still didn't attempt to put thought to paper. Last week I decided to give it a go, but only came up with about 150 words and couldn't come up with a story line. This week I actually came up with 592 words, but the challenge ended before I could bring my story to a conclusion.

I am so out of practice!

So then, I discovered a site that offers daily writing prompts, with the challenge to write about the prompt for 10 minutes a day. I thought to myself, this might be just what I need to get myself in the practice of writing every day. This could be the outlet for my creative energy, and at any rate it could inspire me to write again!

I'm gonne give it a go.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment